Explain post study work permit for masters in Australia for international students

Post Study Work Permit For Masters In Australia For International Students

International students who complete a master’s degree in Australia may be eligible for a post-study work visa under the Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) to stay and work in Australia after completing their studies. The Temporary Graduate visa has two streams: the Graduate Work stream and the Post-Study Work stream.

For master’s graduates, the Post-Study Work stream is most relevant. This stream allows international students who have completed a higher education degree (bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral) from an Australian education provider to stay and work in Australia temporarily.

Here are some key features of the Post-Study Work stream for international master’s students:

  • Duration: The length of the visa depends on the qualification obtained. For master’s degree graduates, the visa is typically valid for two years. For those who have completed a Master’s by Research, the visa duration is extended to three years.
  • Eligibility: To be eligible for the Post-Study Work stream, international students must meet the following requirements:
    • Have completed a degree from an Australian education provider that is registered under the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS).
    • The course duration must be a minimum of 92 weeks (two academic years) and must have been completed within the last six months.
    • Hold a valid student visa at the time of application.
    • Be under 50 years of age.
    • Have proficient English language skills, as demonstrated by an approved English language test (e.g., IELTS, TOEFL, PTE).
    • Meet health and character requirements.
  • Work rights: The Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) under the Post-Study Work stream allows eligible international students to work full-time without any restrictions on the type of work or the number of hours per week
  • Including family members: Eligible family members, such as a spouse or dependent children, can be included in the visa application. They will also have work and study rights while in Australia.
  • Pathway to permanent residency: While the Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) is not a direct pathway to permanent residency, it allows international students to gain valuable work experience and potentially improve their eligibility for other visas, such as the Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189) or the Skilled Nominated visa (subclass 190).

It is important for international students to be aware of the eligibility criteria, application process, and requirements for the Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) under the Post-Study Work stream to take full advantage of the opportunity to work in Australia after completing their master’s degreeies.

Feel free to contact with us

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published.

    You may use these <abbr title="HyperText Markup Language">HTML</abbr> tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>